Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Zorro Training

About ten years ago I watched, "The Mask of Zorro" with my sisters. While I enjoyed some parts of it, I personally didn't think it held a candle to the old Black and White series with Guy Williams. But there was one part in particular that I will never forget and have often equated to child-training:

In this scene, the old Zorro (Anthony Hopkins) is training the new Zorro, (Antonio Banderas) who is little more than a bitter drunk with a sword. Taking him to his special cavern, Don Diego de la Vega puts his trainee through a series of rigorous lessons.

First, he introduces Alejandro to "The Ring." Resembling a large target painted on the cave floor, the ring starts with a six foot bulls-eye in the center and extends outward. The Master points to the bulls-eye and states simply, "That is your life. Nothing else exists."

Vehemently, the protege reminds his tutor of their arch-enemies, but Hopkins cracks his bullwhip and states quietly, with deadly force, "Nothing exists until I say it exists."

Zorro then explains that as Alejandro passes certain tests, a new ring will be added and his world will widen, until he is finally ready for the outside world.


After weeks of relentless training, a bath, and a haircut, the student that emerges from the cave is polished, refined, and disciplined. He is Zorro.

We could learn alot from this approach to training. But somehow, we seem to get it backwards. Instead of restricting our children when they're little and letting them go as they grow older; we give them great liberty when they're young and then, when they do not become the mature, responsible teenagers that we had expected, we begin to squeeze them with restrictions until there's nothing left for them to do, but rebel.

Raised in Conservative-Christian circles, I've seen this happen all too frequently. But I've also witnessed families that started off like Zorro: with great restrictions, whose children grew up to be responsible teenagers with many more freedoms. Teenagers that could be trusted.

It is imperative that we keep the future in mind while training little ones. An action or behavior may seem quite innocent or insignificant, until you stop to ponder what it will look like in 10 years. By then, it will be too late.

Next time, I'll discuss ways to implement "Zorro Training." Until then, can you think of how this could influence your family, our churches, or this culture? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

3 comments:

  1. I never understood Babywise's "parenting outside the funnel" (which is basically the same as Zorro's rings) until I realized that sometimes the thought goes through my head, "Oh, that's ok, she can't hurt anything by playing with that...." and normally it's because at her age, sure, she can play with the car keys - she's not old enough to push the buttons. Guess what! One day she was! And pushed the unlock button repeatedly until the driver side window went down - and yep - it rained that night without us realizing the window was down!

    So my clue is - whenever I _justify_ that "it's ok" for them to play with it because they're _too_young_ to do any damange... then I'm parenting outside the funnel and setting them up for future problems - because ONE day they WILL be old enough to do damage, and then I'll have to take it away and cause all sorts of other problems by my own inconsistencies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tied posting a nice long comment - but I don't see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's here, Christie! Sometimes the comments don't show up right away.

    I've been realizing alot of the same things you mentioned. And, as BabyWise also says, "It's easier to train correctly, than to re-train." I find that I'm already doing quite a bit of retraining. But hopefully it's not too late!!!

    ReplyDelete