Monday, March 22, 2010

Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned at the Dinner Table

I am still working on the next installment of "Zorro Training," but thought you would enjoy reading this article until I can finish the other.

You've probably all heard of the book, "Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten," Well, this article could be aptly titled, "Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned at the Dinner Table."

"Indeed, it is arguable that the lessons learned at the family table are more fundamental to the pursuit of Wisdom than those learned in the classroom. It is at meals that souls are nourished, as well as bodies. It is largely from eating with the family that helpful information is conveyed and the foundational lines of character are formed."


"In this setting, one gradually learns the art of the "inner check," as Irving Babbitt calls it. Restraint is in order. There are things that may not be done at table — and certain subjects never spoken of — and certain other things must be said or done at table."

How important is etiquette to your family? As a Mom, I sometimes get tired of the "broken-record" I become at the Dinner Table, but Scripture instructs us to teach our children at every given opportunity:
 
"...when thou sittest in thine house,
and when thou walkest by the way,
when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."
(Deuteronomy 11:19)


Broken-records, keep up the good work! You are training children for life!

To read the entire article, click the link below:
Virtue Begins With a Spoon ~Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon

1 comment:

  1. "Virtue Begins with a Spoon" is a great article! Great post! :) (And what a test of Mom's character too - to continually (750 times a year) put nutritious food on a clean table sittng on a mostly clean floor with a clean kitchen behind her! (That last part rarely happens, but I at least try to clean it before moving on to other things) Still EVERYTHING to do with the dinner table from planning to preparation to sharing it with others, to cleaning up - is a test of SOMEONE'S character - and it's mostly Mom being tested!

    ReplyDelete