Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pressing toward the Mark or Sitting on a Pedestal?

About 15 years ago, I recall looking through a certain magazine with my Mom. At the time, it was the rave among conservative, christian women; and everywhere we went the ladies were buzzing over the woman who published it.

After perusing a few copies, Mamica asked my opinion; and I answered honestly, "I'm afraid for that woman."

Surprise filled Mom's eyes, but I continued, "the way so many ladies are setting her up on a pedestal only leaves room for a fall." The magazine itself wasn't bad, but something bothered me about it. Something I couldn't quite verbalize. 

Sadly, about a year later, this lady announced she was leaving her husband-- for her editor.



We all know that our culture is celebrity-oriented, but why does this trickle so much into the church? Even the best preachers are just men, and they struggle with sin just like the rest of us. While I would never condone what this woman did, it grieved me to see the way others were following her so adamently. And many were devastated when she fell.

The arm of flesh WILL fail you

Likewise, I have no desire to set myself up as being superior to anyone. While I do have some strong convictions in the area of child-training, I am still a sinful individual, with personal biases. And my children are living examples of total depravity. So, if you're coming to this blog looking for someone who's "got it all figured out" then you're in the wrong place! Prepare to be disappointed. I merely desire to use this forum to organize my thoughts and generate great discussions on these topics. But every day, I am reminded of what the Apostle Paul said,

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect...
but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize
of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

Is this your desire too? Maybe we can travel this way together...

1 comment:

  1. It's sad, but we do set up our idols in position to fall.
    It's also sad that the church and world are so much alike. But that is not how it should be.

    ReplyDelete