Friday, March 12, 2010

Is There a Skeleton in Your Closet?

Why is it so much easier to sweep things under the bed, shove them in a closet, or stuff them into a drawer?

The past few weeks, I have been consistently working with my girls in areas that have been sadly neglected. As a mother, it's easy to see a problem and dismiss it; lack of time and energy! But those skeletons in the closet never seem to go away by themselves. Then, when we do address them; it's monstrous!

I keep reminding myself, "It's going to get worse before it gets better." All these issues must be pulled out of their prospective hiding-places and attacked individually. It will take time, effort, and tears. But it will be worth it!

Today, I took all three of the girls shopping. When we returned to the car, I faced them, "Thank you, for your behavior in the store today. It makes me want to take you back."

7 comments:

  1. Mary, How did you manage the store with the girls? I can do Sam's but Walmart is a nightmare with 2. Let me in on your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that would take a book, Candace! There are so many different factors.

    I try not to go at naptime and make sure I bring a bottle for Gita. Then we always stop to look at things, even touching and holding them, but when it's time to move on, we set them back on the shelf and wave, "bye-bye." The babies are always excited to see what else there is in the store.

    For the older two: I talk to them before we go in, explaining my expectations. Not a lecture, but a reminder. If they do forget, I will get down on their level, look them in the eye, and remind them of what we discussed. Sometimes I have to discipline them when we get home, but usually one warning is sufficient.

    Lately, I've seen some digression in this, but after consistent discipline, this morning's outing was a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! But I'd have to say, there's a skeleton in every closet! If you think you've neglected areas - how about being in survival mode for YEARS! Everything has been neglected at my house! I don't know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Mary. I fell like I always have to catch up after either going through morning sickness or after having a baby. I let things o too much and then it's like I have to start all over in some areas.... not fun. It's definitely something that doesn't just go away though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sorry about all the typos... it's late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean, Susan. I feel like I've been playing catch-up for a long time, but especially since I got pregnant with Gita.

    I had just finished a large drama production with the homeschool group, and then the morning sickness hit! It was terrible this time, I didn't want to do anything for almost four months! Then, my best friend had her second baby, so I had four (under the age of four) while pregnant.

    A few months after Gita was born, I broke my wrist and had to have surgery... recovering from that with two babies and three toddlers, was not so easy...

    Then, two weeks ago, my best friend had her third and is now home with all of them; (Lord willing, she'll be able to stay home this time!) but now both of us are experiencing vicious skeletons in the closet!!!

    I keep reminding both of us, "It will get worse, before it gets better!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been quite a busy couple of years for you!

    ReplyDelete