Thursday, February 11, 2010

When I Get A Little Money...

As a teenager, my favorite quote was one from Desiderius Erasmus, "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes."

Unfortunately, being a Mom requires a little more practicality and I rarely get to enjoy a good book. When I do read, it is usually a devotional or has some family-oriented edification.

But my FAVORITE novel in the WHOLE WORLD, was actually written by my Auntie Sheri! It's a Christian thriller about the daughter of martyred missionaries. When I finally got the courage to pick it up (it's 453 pages) I could not put it down!

The story is fascinating, clean, and glorifies the power of God to change lives- from lowly Bedouin girls to aristocratic snobs and Islamic princes...

Here's an Amazon review, written by my best friend, Christie Phillips:
As a full-time mom with two littles, I'm always short on sleep. WARNING: DO NOT OPEN THIS BOOK AT 11 PM JUST HOPING TO READ "A FEW PAGES"! It won't happen!! I was up til 4 am. I've read a TON of books in my life, and this was definately a real gripper and page-turner. I finally finished it last night and it's definately worth your while. There are several challenging themes that I've been mulling over ever since - so it not only grabs your attention, but challenges you to rethink some of our American cultural beliefs. (I love comparing our cultural assumptions against other cultures.)

Follow this link to find more reviews on this absolutely amazing, five-star book:

Across Time, Across Tears

9 comments:

  1. Well, I must say you pick good sources!! :) (And it can't be plagarism unless you neglect to cite your source!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I read this book in 2 days ! Couldn't put it down to the verge of neglect of my children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie, I actually went to Amazon for my review- but I liked yours better. I still added a snipet from mine, but didn't use it as a quote. (Don't have to cite your source when you're quoting yourself!)

    And Jen, I read the book while recovering from Felicity's birth...so I had an excuse to be in bed! Poor baby had to learn how to nurse under the shadow of her great-auntie's book! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered a copy from Barnes and Noble! Right now I'm reading the Duggar Family book you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, Beckie! Enjoy them both! I'd love to hear your comments when you finish...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Jo, thank you for your wonderful comments! You have truly blessed my heart!

    I'd like to add one thing. The main character, Rachel, is not likeable in the beginning of the story. I knew where she was ultimately headed, so I could keep going with her--like God knows where we're headed--but a small number of readers were horrified by Rachel's bitterness and gave up on the book.

    Without a character arc, there is no story. Of course, the best stories have God-given character arcs.

    A heartfelt thanks to you, my dear niece. I love your comments as well! You are so precious to me!

    Auntie Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Auntie. I struggled with Rachel in the beginning and almost abandoned the book, but after a couple chapters it was a different story.

    And you're right. The best stories have God-given character arcs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a really hard time putting this book down too. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen and Susan, thanks for your sweet comments!

    Susan, I was praying that TJ would make it home safely when I heard the road was closed, and he was snowbound and couldn't get to you. Praise God for His safe keeping!

    ReplyDelete