Friday, February 12, 2010

Gnawing Bones

I wonder, has anyone else experienced that sick feeling that comes after mailing a letter and wishing you hadn't? Did you ever blurt out something in public just to immediately desire the words back?

That happens to me...frequently. (Maybe it has something to do with my impulsiveness, I don't know) Anyway, it happened again just yesterday! After writing what I thought was a rave review of my Auntie's book, I came back to the computer this morning and groaned!

Don't get me wrong. Everything I articulated was correct. But it was the glaring omissions that grabbed my attention. The review was absolutely childish! So, I loved her book; but why? What is it about Across Time, Across Tears that makes it an instant favorite with so many readers? After all, the size is pretty daunting.

Disgusted with myself, I pushed away from the computer and picked up the book...again! Honestly, I only intended to read a few "favorite parts" but there are just so many of them, it's impossible to pick. And, despite the fact that I was supposed to be preparing my house for a baby shower tomorrow, unheedless of five munchkins squealing in the playroom, regardless of the fact that the laundry was piled high- I just couldn't put it down!

Now I've reached an opinion: it isn't just the story-line that's excellent. It's not simply the intricate details that weave together so seamlessly throughout the book. Nor does the excitement come solely from great action-sequences. No, the reason this book is such a favorite, is the language.

Across Time, Across Tears is nothing less than a work of art! A painting, if you will. And when you read it, the characters and settings are so vivid that it isn't difficult to imagine yourself there. Thanks to the author's skill with words, even the most unimaginative of us have no trouble visualizing the sights of the marketplace, smelling the stench of an old man's breath, or hearing the air hiss as a silenced AK-47 assault rifle demolishes a tree branch. She even lets us feel the warmth of a recently-laminated Driver's License! The dialogue itself is passing extraordinary, and the ending, that last paragraph,- is simply breathtaking!

If you haven't read this book yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. Not just because it's my very favorite novel, but because you have no idea what you're missing! I'll close with a teaser, from one of many favorite parts:
"She jumped when Bani placed a hand on each side of her head, though he did not try to raise her face upward. He leaned close to the veil. "I understand more than you think," he said. "Do you suppose God is mindless? He would not so use us both. He has done a perfect work. Praise Him, if you can, woman, and stop gnawing the bones of your own worry and misunderstanding..."

Across Time, Across TearsAcross Time, Across Tears

7 comments:

  1. BTW: this is not intended to be a criticism of my best friend's review, just mine. Christie did a great job of bringing out some intriguing aspects, and I really appreciate that.

    Also, if you have read the book already, please consider leaving a comment here, and a review on Amazon.com. Even if you don't consider youself skilled with words, the more comments an item gets, the better! (That goes for blogs too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, it has been such a joy to see you start blogging and loving it! :) I admit, I get such a neat perspective getting to see you in person nearly every day, talk to you on the phone, discuss topics and issues and wonder, "Is this conversation going to be the start of a blog post?" You really have come alive as a person since you've begun this and it is SO neat! It's like getting to know you, the real you - the one I was asking about when you spent the night at Christmas, on the internet!

    So don't worry about the enthusiasm of your previous post! You'll grow - this is just the beginning! (and I was not offended in the least - if I was, I would NOT put it on a blog comment!! ;)

    KEEP IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WARNING: Christie, All of our conversations are likely to turn up in my blog as some point or another! =D At this moment, I could spit out 10-12 articles from the material rattling around in my brain!

    I'm just reminded that quality is more important than quantity, although I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time I re-read a post and groan! (In fact, I did it again this morning: "Unheedless" of the five munchkins...) I think I'm creating new words! ARGH!

    Thanks to everyone for their patience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jo, I've been struggling to put down my thanks for your breathtakingly beautiful re-review, and words are just not adequate. I've edited and edited, and not liked anything I've written. "Thank you" sounds so paltry, and I don't want to exalt myself in any way.

    However, I can say that I'm pretty sure you've been in the book too much because you "unheedlessly" pulled a distinct "Rachelism." At least you are doing it in English--er, sort of. :)

    I love the articles that you are writing! All of them!

    Would you give me permission to make a copy of both of your reviews?

    And thank you, Christy, for your beautiful review as well! I'm grateful to both of you, and to each one who has taken time to write a review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'm laughing now!!! Thanks, Sheri! I'll try to watch my "Rachelisms" in the future!

    Of course you can copy the reviews! I'm just so glad I went back and explained what makes it such a great book.

    Most authors are strong in one of three writing styles:

    1. Great Dialogue
    2. Excellent Descriptions
    3. Intriguing Action-Sequences

    But your books have all three. That's why so many people love them. And that's why everyone keeps wondering when you'll write another one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to buy the book, I can't wait to read it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morganne, if you'll purchase it through my Amazon link on this blog, they will give me a percentage of the sale.

    ReplyDelete