Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Martyrdom or Vengeance? Part 4

Well, the stats are in! 33% of you said you'd tell your children to "Fight Back", 16% advised them to "Call for Help", 0% said "Turn the other cheek", while 50% aren't really sure what to say.

I appreciate that honesty. A few months ago, I wasn't sure either. Nor did I know how to handle the sibling conflicts that inevitably arise in our home...

"Mom-my!" the high-pitched whine is enough to cause the sturdiest Mother to groan. We all know what it means: brother or sister has done something,- again! Then come the feet, pounding resolutely into the room as the child airs their grievance, hoping for justice.

What do you do? Well, sometimes we rush to their rescue and punish the offender. Other times, we ignore the complaint and pray for a distraction. On a different occasion we may crawl all over the "victim" and accuse them of tattling. But if none of those options fit our mood, we just scream, "Why can't y'all be nice?!"

I think we fail to remember that home is a training-ground for life. If we can't teach our children to handle conflicts with their siblings, then we haven't done our job!

As I was meditating on this dilemma a few months back, the passage in Matthew 18 came to mind. In verses 15-16, Christ sets a pattern for dealing with conflicts that arise in the Church. "Go to your brother," He says, "and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you've gained a brother. If not, then go back with two or three witnesses..."

We don't usually act that way. Typically, when we're wronged, we either lash out at the guilty party and "give them a piece of our minds" or we adopt a martyr-complex and tell everyone we meet how "so-and-so" treated us.

Why is that? Maybe because we haven't learned to solve conflicts correctly. And, as I considered these things, the thought came to me, "if the family is a picture of the church (Eph 5) then why wouldn't that biblical pattern work for siblings?"

That's why our family has adopted the two-step rule. Now, instead of the above options, all I have to do is hold up two fingers and the children remember to handle their problem correctly.

Step One: Go to the offender kindly and sweetly. Look them in the eye and tell them what they did wrong, "Joanna, I was still playing with that toy, may I please have it back."

Sometimes the offense was quite by accident. Approaching them like this gives them the chance to apologize! No one likes a tattle-tale, one who tries to get others in trouble. So, let them have the opportunity to repent.

Step Two: If they refuse to listen, then take the matter to a higher power, quietly and humbly. "Mom, I asked Felicity kindly and sweetly, but she will not give the toy back to me."

Then the matter is left Mom's hands. They are not demanding justice, but stating facts and allowing the authority to decide the verdict.

Can you imagine the difference this would make in our homes and churches? What if every wife, instead of getting angry or sulking, would speak to her husband honestly and then let God work in his heart? Wouldn't our families be benefited? What if church members followed this biblical pattern too?

It takes courage to do the right thing; to look the offender in the eye and confront the problem. But that is what the Lord has commanded. I look back over my life and see some huge conflicts that probably could have been resolved if I had only followed these steps! How it would have saved myself and those I love so much grief!

I can't go back and change the past. But as I draw this article to a conclusion, it is my fervent prayer that we can all teach our children (and ourselves) how to handle conflicts without "Martyrdom" or "Vengeance".

~Blessings!

12 comments:

  1. That works well in the home, especially Christian homes, with 2 sweet little girls, or children who are being raised with Godly principles, however, when children are being bullied out in the real world, a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to respectfully disagree, Sheri. Just as boot-camp is an important part of the military, so the home not only prepares children for the real world, but it's a HUGE part of the real world!

    Children who cannot get along with siblings or parents, grow up to have trouble with their boss, co-workers, spouses, friends, etc...
    And the biblical principal, "A soft answer turns away wrath..." is not just intended for godly homes. It is a rule of thumb.

    Sure, there are exceptions but, on the whole, it is quiet control of the situation that wins the day.

    Even Martial arts instructors teach control and discipline above all. Fighting should be the LAST resort.

    Anyway, I'm not trying to run anyone else's family. These are just some thoughts that have been running through my head for some time.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good reminder for us all, Mary. And I'm really impressed with the way you have applied it in your home. I'll be trying that in our home, and at work, not to mention with my own behavior!

    And I agree with you that it should be the approach we take with bullies on the playground, too. But as with our own sweet children, there's a reason we've been given Step 2.

    - Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another excellent addition, Mary Jo! I remember when you told me about training all of your girls with the "Two Step". It is good in that it replaces impulsive blow-ups with calm and gentle confrontation. Ah, to remain calm! Very good training for life! Wish I'd had it as a child.

    Love this series!

    Auntie Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have big the BIGGEST recipient of Mary's wisdom in parenting!! I shudder to think of what my home life would be like without her friendship and guidance!

    Mary - here's a challenge... Would you have applied the two-step rule to the bully going after the smaller child? If so, how? That situations appeared to be a little different in that imminent harm was approaching that youngster and only immediate action could prevent it.

    To improve the response - do you think you should've done the exact same thing - minus the rage? Action, immediate action but with a calm head?

    Just curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typo --- I have BEEN the biggest recipient.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Christie. In Part 3 I explain exactly how I should have handled the situation. Calmly, quietly,- with control, not fury.

    Again, I'm not really adressing the bully-issue, but a pattern that I see in my life that rears its ugly head in so many different ways. "ignore something as long as you can,- until you simply can't take it anymore!" That's not a good motto to live by.

    The two-step rule will eliminate this "martyrdom to vengeance" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying or teaching, however, out in the "real world", so often, the problem does lie with the parents! You go to a childrens baseball/soccer game and see who causes the most problems, it's the parents! You try going to talk to a parent who has bullied your child, and they laugh in your face and tell you that your child needs to toughen up, or better yet, their child wouldn't do such a thing! So they turn and ask, Jimmy, "did you hit Suzzy?" "No sir, I wouldn't do that!"! So there you have it little Jimmy says he didn't do it, so obviously he didn't, because he surely wouldn't lie, so he gets away with it.

    Yes, martial arts does teach self control, and under no circumstances do I advocate fighting! However, as we allowed Matt to take martial arts, they also teach you to be able to defend yourself, but they teach that what is done to you must be equal. Another words you can't over react and beat the tar out of someone who has maybe just punched you in the arm or something.

    Bullying has become a very big thing in our schools. Some children may never experience anything like it where others may be terrifield on a daily basis.

    We aren't talking about being persecuted for the faith, such as Paul, Stephen, Christ, or even modern day missionaries, by government officials.

    Just before leaving the UK, we had a 12 yr. old boy beat up right outside our house, by a group of 3 boys, all around the same age! They beat this kid so bad he was in the hospital for a week. They didn't even know him, he was just walking home minding his own business. It just so happens I was out the night it took place, had I been there and heard the commotion, I would have take a baseball bat and gone out! These kids are just plain mean! No talking would have done anything, and I would bet that the parents probably would be the same way.

    I guarantee if anyone tried hurting you or your precious little girls, Tom would jump right in and do whatever it took to protect you!

    So yeah, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one!

    Love ya though!

    Blessings,

    Sheri xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think we are in disagreement, Mrs Sheri. Believe me, I would have grabbed a baseball bat too! But instead of screaming and swinging it randomly, I would calmly tell the boys to beat it! If they persisted, I would use the bat! But calmly, with control.

    I said I used to be a pacifist. I'm not anymore. While I do believe it is an honor to suffer for Christ, I do not believe that anyone is forbidden from helping the innocent or even defending themselves. But that's different than vengeance.

    Again, the bullying scenario is not the issue. I was attacking my own cowardice that either waits for things to go away, or loses control. And I've seen that mind-set spill over into so many different areas of my life. I just don't want to let my girls grow up doing the same thing.

    BTW: there was no right or wrong answer to the poll. I was just curious to see what people would say. Curious if others were as confused as I have been on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christie, I just realized there were two parts to your question, and I only tackled one of them. Sorry.

    Would I apply the 2-step rule to a younger child facing a bully? Yes!

    How many times have we marveled at the sight of sparrows or wrens, fiestily chasing a hawk away from their nest? It's amazing, but the truth is that courage is the strongest weapon anyone can have.

    Standing up to a bully, looking them in the eye without fear, and asking them to "please stop" may not work in every situation, but it is infinitely preferable to cowering and crying pitifully as most little ones do in such a case.

    I do maintain that calling for help or even fighting back are acceptable, but should always be done with self-control. That's the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just came back to this post to read the comments after my initial comment... wish there was a way that after you leave a comment, you can subscribe to receive an email if anybody else comments after you... (to keep the conversation going.)

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I receive a notification whenever someone responds to a comment. I signed up for it under my identity. I just don't know what options are available to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete