Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gossip Town

When I found this in my seventh grade text-book, I couldn't memorize it fast enough! Still makes me chuckle when I remember the faces of the Amish children in my class, after I suggested we make it into a skit!

Gossip Town

Have you ever heard of "Gossip Town."
On the shore of "Falsehood Bay?"
Where "Old Dame Rumor," with the rustling gown,
Is going the live-long day?

It isn't far to "Gossip Town"
For people who want to go,
The "Idleness Train" will take you down
In just an hour or so.

The "Thoughtless Road" is a popular route
And most folks start that way.
But it's a steep down grade and if you don't look out
You'll land in "Falsehood Bay!"

You glide through the "Valley of Vicious Folk"
And into the "Tunnel of Hate"
Then, crossing the "Add-To-Bridge," you walk
Right through the City Gate.

The principal street is called, "They Say"
And "I've Heard" is the public well,
And the breezes that blow from "Falsehood Bay"
Are laden with "Don't You Tell!"

In the midst of the town is "Telltale Park"
You're never quite safe while there,
For it's owner is "Madam Suspicious Remark,"
Who lives on the street "Don't Care."

Just back of the park is "Slanderous Row"'
Twas there that "Good Name" died,
Pierced by the dart from "Jealousy's Bow"
In the hands of "Envious Pride."

From Gossip Town peace long since fled,
But Trouble, Grief and Woe
And Sorrow and Care you'll meet instead
If ever you chance to go!

~Author Unknown
Borrowed from the blog: NARROW IS THE WAY: Gossip Town

No comments:

Post a Comment