Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Horizons (Part 2)

When we left Pensacola on Friday afternoon, I was confident that the God Who had provided for our journey would accompany us every step of the way. But the fear of the unknown was heavy. While I may come off as a confident person to those who know me, in truth I am full of insecurity, so venturing into a brand new world like this was simply terrifying.

After chasing the mailman furtively around the neighborhood for a package, which ended up containing the wrong cord to our GPS; and then going back to the house for something I forgot, we were finally on our way! Accompanying us to San Antonio was our friend, Matthew Sample, an incredible Graphics Designer and computer genius. (Very brave soul!)

That first night we drove to Louisiana and it rained the whole way. Drenched from a week's soaking, Mom LeBlanc's yard was like a rice paddy as we sloshed to the door carrying the girls. All night long it rained! Then, the entire trip to Houston on Saturday was nothing but rain, rain, rain! (Some day I would like to hear a logical explanation as to why people drive even more crazy when its raining, but suffice it to say that, after a few very narrow incidents, we are miraculously alive and well!)

Sunday morning had its own challenge as we headed north of Houston for church. Of course, the GPS refused to work. Stopping at McD's for a WiFi hotspot, we discovered that the internet was down. Now what? Should we have church in the car on our way to San Antonio, or continue north praying the GPS would find the signal before we passed our exit? After contacting a few friends and messing around more with the GPS, we finally arrived at Grace Family Baptist Church where Voddie Baucham preaches. His message on Daniel 1 was incredible, and very timely, as he reminded us that Daniel and his friends were not primarily educated by the Babylonians. They were trained at home. And that training provided them for the unimaginable horrors they endured at the hands of the Babylonians. "Don't go to Babylon for training" Voddie warned, "Only by godly training can we withstand the ways of Babylon." Following a fellowship meal at GFBC, we were on the road to San Antonio.

It was 6 PM when we arrived at the Marriott Hotel, and by then the butterflies in my stomach were doing all kinds of circus performances. (Yes, I do get nervous.) As we made our way to the front desk, I passed a familiar face and turned to look. (Is it just me or do you find it strange when you've only seen someone on screen and then finally meet them in person?) Thankfully, the 3D version of Isaac Botkin is just as pleasant and confident as his screen presence, and his sincere welcome helped quiet the anxiety of my heart (a little). Within an hour I would meet his mother, Victoria, and find her company such an encouragement and blessing.

But that didn't keep the butterflies away. Early the next morning I was totally and completely daunted by the size of the crowd that was gathered outside the Hidalgo Ballroom, waiting for admission. I'm still not sure how many students were present at the Film Makers Academy this year, but it was at least twice as many as I expected. Standing around with their Mac computers and sleek iPads, I literally felt as insignificant as a smudge on a page. How I wished I had not come!

(to be continued.....)

(I was sitting in the far right when this was taken, so I doubt you can see me.)




No comments:

Post a Comment