Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blessings that Outweigh Tragedy

 This morning, as I spoke to Angi Witvoet on the phone, I was struck again by the attitude of the family through this very difficult time. After losing their home and everything in it to a fire on Monday morning, Angi sincerely assured me that "the blessings far outweigh the tragedy."

It's true that they watched their home go up in smoke. Many precious items were incinerated. But they escaped with their lives and they are SO thankful.

Since the fire, they have been blessed in many ways by family, friends, and strangers. Many of my readers have sent cards and gifts, some still on the way. And the prayers of the saints have lifted and encouraged this family in their time of need.

Currently, my mom and little sisters are in Murfreesboro with the Witvoets and were able to bless them today with some much needed items. The church that I contacted on Wednesday has also given assistance, even paying for them to have an extra night in the hotel while they're looking for a place to rent. And one of the firemen who came to the site noticed that he and Gerrit wore the same size shoe and so he blessed him with a pair boots. (When you're size 14, boots aren't that easy to come by.) Other locals have helped also, and the calls they have received from friends and strangers have blessed them immensely.

From Pensacola, I am trying to do what I can to help, but it's hard being this far away. However, just the increased traffic on my blog has been such an encouragement to me; for I realize that if everyone who comes to this site will just pray for the Witvoets, they will be blessed beyond measure!

On Thursday I was able to send 4 packages to the Witvoets. In just a short amount of time, we were able to put together two boxes of clothes; one box of books, including brand new Bibles which Mount Zion donated for all the children; and a manilla envelope stuffed with cards, letters, and pictures. Lord willing, we will be sending another box this Thursday, so if you're local and would like to donate some items, please let me know!

When asked by relatives what he would have rescued, had he been given the chance to save one thing, young Benjamin replied, "I would have saved Papa's briefcase and his keys." After it was explained that he was to pick something special that he wanted to save, Benjamin persisted, "I would still save Papa's briefcase and keys, because they were important to Papa and so they are important to me."
 
Even in the midst of tragedy, there are wonderful blessings, special moments, and extraordinary grace...

 Isaac, Gerrit, Grady, and Benjamin before the fire

Related Articles:
Fiery Trials
Witvoet Update 2/8/12
Witvoet Update 2/6/12
Prayer for the Witvoets

No comments:

Post a Comment