Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Death of Superwoman: Part Two

After a discussion today with one of the elder ladies in our church, I felt compelled to write this. Although she does not have access to e-mail, this sister got a copy of my "Death of Superwoman" post and was bothered by the contents of it. By the time we finished our discussion, she understood what I was trying to say, but it made me wonder if anyone else had the same problems with it.

In my post, I had no intention of accusing anyone of anything; no one but myself, that is. I have been blessed and ministered to by many of the ladies in our church, especially with meals after the birth of my children and after breaking my wrist last year.

What I was trying to say is that our culture has lost its sense of community. Even the Church is often treated as a social club. But if you study the Scriptures, you'll see that the Church is compared to the family. That's why we call ourselves brothers and sisters in Christ.

But if we are family, then why do we have to pretend with each other? Why do we show up at church with a plastered smile, and a "Hi, how are ya?" and then go on our merry way without thinking about each other again, until next Sunday?

When we do invite each other to our homes, we want to pull out the best china and serve up a perfect meal to exemplify our "hospitality."

But, if we are family, then why can't we just enjoy potluck meals on paper plates? Or, better yet, why can't we let others help us with the dishes?

But no, we have to be "the perfect hostess!"

It would be unthinkable to ask someone to bring a side dish or dessert! And heaven forbid we allow them to assist with the clean up. "No," we say, "Let's just visit. I'll clean this up later!"

But why can't we fellowship while we do the dishes?

Back to my frustrations: I was venting about my own stubborn pride. My refusal to ask for help. My thinking that I have to be Superwoman. I know that the women in our church would be happy to assist me, with actions or simply words of encouragement. But they don't know my struggles, because I have done everything in my power to convince everyone (even my husband) that I "have it all together."

My post was not an attack on anyone, but a personal decision to stop the facade. Despite the strong exterior that you may see when you look at me, I am full of weakness and prone to sin. I am not someone to be admired or placed on a pedestal, but someone whose pride needs to be crushed. I need help. I just have to learn how to humble myself and ask...

"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves
to think any thing as of ourselves;
but our sufficiency is of God." 2 Cor 3:5


Similar Posts:

5 comments:

  1. I'll gladly help with the dishes! I'm always more comfortable talking while working anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not the point, Christie! Will I let you help me with the dishes? Now, that's the real question!

    More on this later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary, these are good! You've clearly expressed what has been on my mind many times over the last few years. Putting it in writing - and in the "interwebs" - provides opportunity for discussion. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I miss community too. I think back to when I was a child and it seemed like you never knew when someone would drop by, or what a day would hold. What I miss at this point is I live a little distance from church and my friends there. There have been some days though when I look around at my messy house, I'm overwhelmed and feel like all the training is doing no.th.ing., and I wish for an older lady to just drop in on me unannounced and help me pick up my house and love on my kids and pass along wisdom to me.
    Yes, I do learn alot online and read lots of encouraging things that help me along and give me ideas. And I know my sisters and mom are only a phone call away, but it's not like having someone teach or encourage me in person!
    I'm with you though in that I have a hard time asking. I ask for advice about stuff, no problem, but asking someone to come and help is something I haven't been bold, or humble, enough to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, there was a time I resented the small-town/close church. It seemed as though everyone was looking over everyone else's shoulder. Now I miss that!

    This may be terrible, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has these feelings! I was so afraid to post these things, because my pride hates this vulnerability, but hearing from so many friends that struggle in the same manner, has been an unbelievable encouragment to me! I pray that the Lord will draw His children together and teach us how to bear the burdens of others!

    ReplyDelete