Monday, August 23, 2010

Children and Clowns

Lately, I've spent a lot of time contemplating facades and masks, so this note from FlyLady really hit home:

"What is it about clowns that scare some children? Yesterday I figured it out along with a dear friend. Their face tells a different story than what is in their heart. To a child's instincts they may seem to be hiding something. My dear friend suffered with serious child abuse. The abuser was her mother. To the world her mother seemed to be nurturing kind person, but behind closed doors she wore another face. She has nightmares about clowns and when the clown face is removed; it is her mother."


"My mother was like that too. Everyone loved her. They didn't see the screaming rude vicious side of her. She put on a different face for them. Are you wearing a lot of different faces and your family can never tell who you are or who you are going to be. It is up to us to change this behavior and make our inside face match our outside face..."


After considering what was said, I felt the need to comment thus:

Very good analogy and application! The thing is: everyone of us is wearing some sort of mask. Since the time Adam fell, mankind has had the need to cover his/her shame. But this sort of hypocrisy is detrimental to our children. As a Mom that struggles constantly with frustrations and a quick temper, I have apologized to them repeatedly for my actions/words, trying never to place the blame on them. I think this is important. Parents aren't perfect, and children will figure that out eventually; but they need to see humble, contrition from us- so they don't internalize our faults and later churn that into bitterness.

Any thoughts on this from my readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment