Friday, June 25, 2010

Fire Away!

Five months ago today, I started this blog, not really sure where it was going to take me. My first post, Wisdom Without Kindness terrified me beyond belief! I couldn't begin to describe the heart palpitations and sweaty palms that I experienced before hitting the "Publish" button that first day! In some ways, blogging has gotten easier. But I still find it difficult to bare my soul to friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers.

Unbelievably, I've had 1,472 visits in the past five months; greatly exceeding my expectations! This may not seem like much to some bloggers, but it's definitely encouraging to me!

There have been many times that I was tempted to quit; Hope and Promise was "supposed" to be my last post, but I couldn't help myself. There's so much that I still want to share.

One thing that has always bothered me is the acute awareness of my own failings; as a mother, a wife, and a child of God. I know our fallen tendencies to place people on a pedestal and expect perfection from them; or to place ourselves on a pedestal, looking down on others. I wanted this blog to be a forum for discussion and an opportunity to throw around ideas, not a place for me to "soap-box preach." But this doesn't happen very often, so I'm not sure if it's my writing style that prohibits comments, or if most of my readers are just incredibly shy! ;-)

SO, I'm offering an automatic entry for a prize drawing of the book, Passionate Housewives Desperate for God to anyone that comments on this post. Just please let me know ways that I can improve my blog! Remember, I'm still fairly new at this and am not sure what you are experiencing when you visit. These comments can be about the topics, appearance, posting problems, facebook links, my new blog "Golden Apples",  and etc...  (You could even just list your favorite post or topic.)

Passionate Housewives Desperate for GodEvery time someone comments, I will place their name in a hat. On July 1st, a winner will be randomly selected to receive a new copy of this delightful book. (Even if you already have one, it's OK. They make excellent gifts!)

So, fire away!!!


Blog Posts with the Most Views:

14 comments:

  1. I was going to post and say "don't enter me in the contest, I already have a copy" ... but you mentioned the gift idea, so I suppose I can leave my name in the hat... :)

    Anyway - my favorite post of yours was when you related the successful use of the 2 step rule by Joanna when Felicity stole the last of her Ovaltine! I loved the "peak behind the scenes" of these things in action. :) (Plus, I miss seeing the girls twice a day, 5 days a week, and getting to hear all of the latest minutia (sp?) of your day and the various interactions between all the little ones!!!!)

    So, my vote is for more stories - present or past. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be honest in that I don't read your blog all the time. I think it's lack of time for me...so I don't have a lot of input. However, when I do stop by, I appreciate reading your perspective on life and motherhood even though you're so YOUNG! :-) You have great wisdome to share. And of course, it's a great way to "keep up" with a long-distance friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog it has been very helpful and uplifting to me.I am not a mother but care for two small neighbor boys 3yrs and 18 months,so I have learned many practical lessons to pass on.Keep up the good work,I don't comment often but greatly enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading your blog! It occurs to me that my lack of commenting, or discussing, is simply laziness on my part. I seem to do a lot of browsing on-line, rather than being more purposeful and engaging. I'm glad you did this post or I wouldn't have realized I was doing that. And I would certainly love to be the winner of that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to reading more! I am looking forward to reading that book, maybe I can win it, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah Lollar-DavisonJune 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

    Mary,
    I totally had this huge comment typed the other day and then when I selected my profile option it messed up and my comment disapeared. So, now I'm re-typing it! I DO read your blog, I just don't have tons of time! But anyways, I have to read this book because you and I agree on so much, especially this area of our role God's given us! So, I'll be looking for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Lollar-DavisonJune 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

    Oh-and by the way...you can't stop writing!! It's awesome having you put things I see/feel/think into words so eloquently, and being encouraged by a Godly sister! And-you use much more kindness than I probably would, lol..Taming the tongue! Something I'm not sure I'll ever have down, but God's working on that in me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitly enjoy reading your blog. I can't really seem to explain it, but it gives me a calm to stop by and read. Helps me to put things in perspective when I'm having a selfish attitude as I scrub the toilet, change diapers, or repeat a spelling word 7 times. please keep writing, and I promise to stop by and comment more often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments! This is truly a remarkable book and suitable for christian women of every age and marital status.

    Writing for this blog has been an adventure, but I have truly been blessed by it and look forward to our future discussions. (hint, hint)

    If you aren't already a facebook fan, please take a minute and sign up so I can be sure you are notified of the winner.

    The Lord bless and keep you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary,
    I just started reading your blog, but I am already enjoying it immensely! I need to keep reading this page because I am a new mama and I need all the godly help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to win a copy of this book! I've heard about it and would love a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love a copy of this book!!!
    I thought long and hard for a suggestion for you... the only idea I could think of was if you organize the things you write under topics, or tags. Then if they're archived that way it would be easy to find something we might want to re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the suggestion, Susan. I will definitely try to figure out how to do that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In case you missed the post on Facebook, this contest is now over and the winner is... Beckie Cato, a blessed sister in Christ who has faithfully raised three girls alone, for the glory of God.

    Beckie has been a blessing and inspiration to me for many years, so it was very exciting for me to pull her name out of the hat!

    I do hope that each of you get a chance to read this book! Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete