Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Reluctant Blogger

CONFESSION: I was propelled into this "Blogging Adventure" by my dear husband, and am frankly quite terrified. I mean, what do I have to say that hasn't already been said by someone much wiser or more eloquent than I?


True, there was a time the world was dying to hear my opinion (so I thought) but lately I have to wonder why anyone would take note of my insignificant ramblings. Because of this, my best friend has dubbed me, "the Reluctant Blogger".


Then again, every one of us is unique. And it's not just the color of our eyes, hair, or skin that makes us different. Nor do shape, height, or weight define who we really are. Instead, each of has been influenced by our life's experiences, making no two alike. Even our view of Scripture can be sadly tainted by these experiences as we, "see through a glass darkly..." (1 Cor 13:12) While our opinions may be irrelevant, our lives are unique.


I have to wonder if any of my readers have spent three and half years with the Amish, living off the land and without modern conveiences? Has anyone else in the world milked their goats in the Walmart parking lot in Birmingham, Alabama? (Let's hope not!)


This doesn't make me special, just different. And my somewhat-unusual life has had an impact on how I see the world around me. Some of you may have lived on an ostrich farm or spent a year in Guatamala. Others may have taken a leap of faith by removing your children from government schools. What event or circumstance has helped influence the way you view the world? 


So I embark on this new adventure, reluctantly...

7 comments:

  1. I'm leaving a comment to test this comment block. I was told it wasn't working...we'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what has affected who I am the most was being a PK. Some effects were good, others not so much. Good to have accountability to live up to what the Lord wants of me (Micah 6:8), not so good to be always worried about what people think of me and try to live up to their expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! :) Milking goats in a Walmart parking lot? Wow! One time my 4yo DD spilled her milk and I actually treated her kindly and we cheerfully cleaned it up together. Those are my favorite moments that I hope to have more and more often!!! I want to be defined by those moments. Maybe that's why God has ceased my world travelings and confined me to a more humble sphere. May I meet Him in my laundry room, my kitchen, and my cubicle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true, Susan. I think we all worry to some degree about the expectations of others.

    Sometimes our failures drive us to a point that we don't care anymore, but we should always live unto the Lord, not as man-pleasers.

    I find it a struggle trying to bring little ones up with this concept. (i.e. teaching them to treat others kindly. Not because, "no one will like you, if you don't" but, "this is what Christ expects of us".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Christie. We actually milked goats in the Walmart parking lot. And we were driving a van that contained 8 goats, a dog, 2 cats and some poultry in cages on the roof! (We made the Beverly Hillbillies look mighty good!)

    Motherhood is an honor, be faithful in that which is least... and continue to enjoy those special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and thank you Christie for the inspiration behind the title. I had no idea how to start this post, until you gave me that nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so impressed with your writing style and content that I went back to the beginning to read it all.
    Husbands are great. I'm glad yours gave you a nudge. My husband did the same for me when I started writing Susie's story

    ReplyDelete