Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saying "Farewell"

Yesterday, we said a final goodbye to some very special friends. After two weeks of thinking that each meeting was our last, the real farewell was a little anti-climactic, but still extremely difficult.

The first time I met the Witvoet family was at my parent's church in Williston, FL. I fell in love with them instantly and joyed in the birth of three of their children; even watching their older children while Angi was in the hospital giving birth to baby Gerrit. Soon after they moved to Illinois, I moved to Pensacola and we lost contact.

Then, almost six years ago, I ran into Gerrit at a Yard Sale here in Pensacola! I had heard that they were living here, but didn't know if they would remember me (or want to remember me). But he seemed genuinely pleased, so we exchanged phone numbers. Soon, Angi and I had reconnected and a beautiful friendship began again.

From the first day that I took baby Joanna to their house, our children have loved being there! Just driving into their yard would bring squeals of laughter from the girls, even as babies. It was a home away from home; a place of refreshment and peace. In reciprocating fashion, they watched the girls while I was giving birth to Felicity and then Brigitta.


(The Witvoet family with baby Joanna)

Yesterday, I got to tell Angi that their home, and it's occupants, always reminded me of "Palace Beautiful" in John Bunyan's allegory; "The Pilgrim's Progress". After a series of trial and struggles, Christian found rest and encouragement there. But he wasn't permitted to remain forever. It just strengthened and prepared him for the trials ahead.

The past month has been an emotional roller coaster for me, but I do believe that, although the Lord provides rest and relief for weary pilgrims, He wants us to remember that we have "no abiding city here" for "this world is not our home."

Farewell is not good-bye. Despite the tears, I will trust these precious friends to the hand of Him that "knoweth best and doeth well."

1 comment: