Thursday, May 6, 2010

Felicity's "Green Thing"

Less than two weeks ago, my husband and I did one of the hardest things we've had to do as parents. We took away Felicity's "green thing." Those of you that know "Issy" have rarely seen her without this piece of silky, green material (a piece of my old nightgown).

For the past two and a half years, she has carried that cloth around, dragging it through the dirt, cuddling with it after falling down, and begging for it day and night. When it was lost, the whole house was turned upside-down until a squeal of delight indicated that it had been found. Leaving the house in a hurry, we would turn around and go back for the beloved "green thing" or there would be no peace.

Finally, Thom and I decided that it was time. But we dreaded the results. If she was this fussy with her precious blankie, what would she be like without it? We didn't know; but something had to be done. Sitting her down, Daddy and I explained to Felicity that it was time to say "good-bye." As the tears filled her eyes, I felt my own heart being torn, knowing how important that piece of green cloth was to my little one.

That night was terrible. After crying for an hour before going to sleep, Felicity woke up around midnight and came into our room, crying pitifully. Gathering her into my arms, I rocked and crooned to my little girl until exhaustion took her. Half an hour later, she was awake again, but didn't cry quite as long. For the rest of the night, she would wake every 30-45 minutes, but each time the crying was a little less.

(Felicity sharing her "green thing" with Baby Brigitta)

The next day, I was dreading nap-time. And I needed a nap! Surprisingly, she only asked for the "green thing" one time, and as I rubbed her back, she was asleep within five minutes. That night, she didn't even ask for it.

Over the next few days, I was astonished at the change in her behavior. I expected it to change, but I didn't expect it to improve, especially that drastically! All the sudden, I had a happy girl on my hands again! She laughed, played, talked incessantly, sang with all her heart, and used every excuse to cuddle and whisper sweet things in my ear. Her temper flare-ups became few and far between, and her cheerful obedience soared. I was puzzled; How could a little piece of material (or the absence, thereof) make such a drastic difference in a three year old?

Discussing this with my friend, Noreen, I was thunder-struck to hear her comment that, to Felicity, the "green thing" had become an idol. An idol? Really? I mean, aren't idols just fat, little, green images that people bow down to and worship?

But the suggestion was stuck in my head. This piece of cloth was not just a piece of cloth to Issy. It was her life-- her world. It was something she thought she couldn't live without. It was an idol. And when we removed it from her, we were releasing her from it's power over her.

Now, I'm not going to go overboard here, and start condemning every little child that walks around with a precious "blankie." But this train of thought made me consider how every one of us has an innate need for comfort and security. We try to find them in different things like family, possessions, relationships, jobs, financial stability, religion, and a myriad of other things. But the fact is; comfort and security can only be found in Christ. Whatever it is that we think we can't live without, has become an idol unto us. Anything that robs us of our fellowship with God, is our god.

But when, like Felicity, we are forced to relinquish them unto Him, we find His presence closer, His smile more precious, and His grace so amazing, that we wonder how we could ever love anything more than we love Him.

"Father, I want to know Thee,
But my cowardly heart fears to give up its toys.
I cannot part with them without inward bleeding,
And I do not try to hide from Thee the terror of the parting.
I come trembling, but I do come.

Please root from my heart all Those things
Which I have cherished so long
And which have become a very part of my living self,
So that Thou mayest enter and dwell there without a rival.
Then shalt Thou make the place of Thy feet glorious.
Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it,
For Thyself wilt be the light of it, and there shall be no night there.
In Jesus' name, Amen." 
(A.W. Tozer: The Pursuit of God)

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21) 

5 comments:

  1. Would to God that we we so finally rid our hearts of the idols we love. Thank you Mary for your post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To you folks who read this post. How about you post your thoughts before closing the post and running off. It would do our sister good to know we are listenning. Good, bad or indifferent you should share. Not for your sake, but for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mary! Love the post. Would like to add another idol - FOOD! (How many of us - me included- run to that for comfort instead of prayer!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading it struck me. These are the first addictions a child has to break. And you are right about it being an idol. It's hard on parents to do what love demands, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it crazy what God uses in our children's lives to not only teach them, but teach us? So many times I learn lessons through them, or through things I have to discipline them for. Praise God, that He loves us enough to show us these things!

    ReplyDelete