Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Child of The King

Tonight, when Thom came home from his day's labors, he was met at the door by our two eldest daughters, attired as beautiful princesses. A wonderful exchange followed, in which my beloved referred to all three of his girls as "his princesses" and even included me by calling me "his queen".

With as queenly a smile as I could muster, I teasingly gave him a low curtsy; while asking the girls what that made daddy?



"A king! A king!" came the chorused response.

"So, maybe we should greet him with a curtsy when he comes home every night," I suggested. Promptly the girls acquiesced, nearly toppling over in an attempt to mimic my low bow.

By this time, Daddy had enough of the game. "No! No!" he protested. "Hi, Daddy, will be just fine."

Trying not to smirk, I went back to the kitchen, feeling like a queen in a scullery maid's body. But my mind was running a mile a minute...

Those of us who are believers in Christ, are part of His family and are called the children of God. In Jewish times, the name of God was so holy and austere, that they dared not speak it in its entirety. Yet, in the New Testament, He calls Himself our Father and gives us permission to come to Him boldly, crying "Abba, Father!" (Abba=Daddy)

Daddy-- What a thought! The Almighty God deigns to hear that word from sinful creatures, simply because they are justified by the imputed righteousness of His Beloved Son.

Yet, although we know that, why do we still pray to Him in lofty manners, with high falutin' words; some reading printed prayers and others speaking as though God could only understand King James English?

I understand that God demands our reverence. Some are far too flippant with God's Word and God's Name. And, believe me, if my daughters ever greeted their Daddy with a "Yo, dude!" or "What'sup, Pops?" they would be quickly trotted to the bedroom for a lesson in respect. But does that mean that they have to grovel in the dust before the man that they call "DADDY"? Or does he prefer them cuddling in his lap and sitting on his knee?

"Beloved, now are we the sons (children) of God,
and it doth not yet appear what we shall be:
but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him;
for we shall see Him as He is." (I John 3:2)

Are you a child of the King? Do you approach Him like a true prince or princess? Or do you come to God in fear and trepidation, like a scullery maid or common laborer?

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear;
but ye have received the Spirit of adoption,
whereby we cry, Abba, Father." (Romans 8:15)

DADDY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of that old song "I'm a Child of the King". Maybe you've heard of it, maybe not. I catch myself singing it while I'm scrubbing bathtubs and toilets. Not sure why that song comes to me at such moments. Maybe I'm trying to cheer myself up while doing the dirty work. Nothing like a little irony to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song too! It's been a favorite for many years. Maybe we need to be constantly reminded of who we are, in Christ, regardless of how dirty the job is. After all, our Lord made Himself of no reputation; taking on Him the form of a bondservant and coming in the likeness of man. And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself... Yet, He never forgot WHO HE WAS!

    ReplyDelete