Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Case of the Missing Mountain

Why shouldn't you tell jokes to a volcano?
(It might start cracking up!)

Now, before you all groan and walk away, I'd like to tell you about an awesome book and concept that suddenly appeared in my mail box last week. I had completely forgotten that I agreed to review The Case of the Missing Mountain this summer, but I'm tickled pink that my blog was chosen for the task. =)
 
Click here for more details and ordering info
Written by Kim G. Jones, a former guide at the Mount St. Helens' Seven Wonders Museum, this book is like a glorified version of Ranger Rick. And I say "glorified" for two reasons:

1. It is much better quality, as a book rather than a magazine. With 80 full-color pages and paper back binding, the book is filled inside and out with adventure and fun. The publisher, Master Books, is well-known for their exceptional work of publishing, and the author has done a remarkable job letting children interact with the book rather than just read it.

2. It is also "glorified" because it glorifies the Creator and teaches children the Truths of Creation from the eruption of Mount St. Helens.

Hidden in the 80 pages, you are likely to find:
  • Secret Codes
  • Word searches
  • Gorgeous photos
  • Mazes
  • Fill in the blanks
  • Science experiments
  • Fun Facts
  • Volcano jokes
  • Hidden Ranger Clues
  • And MUCH, MUCH more!
 When the book is finished and all the clues uncovered, the children can go to Kim Jones' website: thenaturetour.com to receive their Official Mystery Ranger Certificate and Badge.

Personally, if my children were just a little bit older, I would use this for at least a full semester of science, supplementing with a few Creation videos. But it doesn't have to be used as school-work! I have a feeling that if you gave this book to any adventurous young person, they would instantly disappear themselves and re-emerge much wiser! 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fantastic review! You are a very creative writer! I LOVE the way you did this review! The set up, links, bullets and personal view are all fantastic parts of this review! Thanks so much! I very much appreciate the time you took to do this review! Woo Hoo! (:

    Kim Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I also LOVE how you started this review! (With one of the jokes-- LOL!) My hat is off to your writing skills and creativity! You have a "glorified" blog too! (:

    Kim Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kim! I thoroughly enjoyed the book and can't wait till my girls are old enough to do the whole thing. (We're already enjoying the pictures, fun facts, and jokes!)

    ReplyDelete